What is the Authentic Health Log?

What is the Authentic Health Log?


On June 1-3, 2011 I participated in a program at work called the Coporate Athlete that is run by the Human Performance Institute. During this course we were assessed in our holistic levels of in physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. I already knew I had a lot of improvements to make in these areas and this program only confirmed that I have a ton of work to do. The bulk of the program hours were spent establishing better eating and excercise habits and then driving each of us to develop a new mission to engage more fully in the holistic dimensions of our life and overcome the "inner terrorists" that keep us from achieving our goals in life. The plan is to use nutritional and movement activties to better establish energy management in my life to meet the demands of so many things to do and keep up with. In the end we have so much to do and sometimes we neglect those we love the most. This blog is my journal that will document my plans and log my progress as I change my life for the better and upgrade my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. I will be successful at this so I can be here for my family each day and for many years to come.

Core Value: Doctrine & Covenants 50:23-25





Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 1

Today was the first day after leaving the program and I think I had a good first day.  I got this journal site started to establish my seriousness about success, to battle the stories in my head that tell me "I'm just not wired to make this work", and take action to document my progress toward what I feel will be a positive change for my health and the happiness of my family.  Having studied the family work relationship in college I also know that getting balance in my family and physical health will only benefit my employment due to the energy that comes from proper diet, proper excercise and proper happiness as a father and husband.  It's a road and this is the first step toward establishing new "muscle memories".

So here's what I've done today:
  • I ate a perfect schedule and diet to match my plan.  Even though my alarm didn't go off I woke up and read my new story and training mission plan.  Eating went as follows:
    • 7:00 am - Oatmeal, Apple slices, Cheese
    • 9:30 am - Half a nutrition bar
    • 12:00 pm - Turkey/Cheese sandwhich w/ romaine/mayo, carrots, bananna
    • 2:30 pm - String cheese
    • 4:30 pm - Chicken sandwhich, carrots, prunes
    • 7:30 pm - 4 peanut M&M's & a string cheese
  • I was actively moving today by mowing and trimming the lawn.
  • Since I returned home last night Heather confirms that I have been engaged and present in the home and my energy is consistent even though I feel asleep on her lap while relaxing at 9pm.  I was tired.
  • I finalized my ultimate mission on this blog and am finishing up the training mission going forward.
  • I still need to do more with my studies on GMAT and I didn't do any aerobic or resistance excercise today.  I was busy and somewhat gave myself the weekend excuse.  Oops.  I will try and do band resistance before going to bed. 
  • My Iphone was in the drawer most of the day except when out and about.  I peaked a couple of times at my work email but I give myself a progress award today.
  • I feel I was present with family at all meals and during the day.  I do feel I need more energy to engage fully in dialogue and sustained enjoyment with the boys and Heather.  I realize that my mind wanders easily to other things and today I wasn't wandering but I am out of practice with just relaxing and talking with my kids.  I've known and felt this for a while during the work stress but today was a reminder that my family muscles need to be conditioned. 
  • I didn't watch any TV today. 
Summary.  Good day.  Not perfect but I progressed.   Tomorrow is my day of rest unto the Lord.  Monday is the next full test of application and applying the mission.  Key actions tomorrow are to make sure I have meals ready and a plan for work priorities with movement/eating/excercise and detachment to home all built into my engagement of the day ahead.  Wish me luck.  This is important to my life!